Thursday 14 April 2016

Evaluation activity 3 - Final




Additional information-                                                   


My distribution company match my goals as they produce a very popular magazine that is well known and currently the most popular within my genre and I want my product to be similar to this and achieve similar goals as I want my magazine to be as much as a success as Mixmag.




Script-


What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?


A publishing company has the role and responsibility of creating information for the general public to view in a variety of ways such as newspapers and in my case magazines. A publisher can be a variety of people such as the author for example, usually larger companies will hire out staff specifically to produce their product to the public. A publisher has a large task of making the magazine a success as they can manage the business operations and also to make sure that there is high quality content available. Some of the skills required to be a publisher for a magazine company is that the publisher should have a good knowledge on what is available on the current marketplace and what is considered good and bad my the public so that they are likely to have a success with their production. The publisher has to usually hire a team of staff which can include members of staff such as photographers, writers and editors to help create the product they are aiming to sell to the general public. In my case I had to complete these roles myself by taking photos, writing articles for the double page spread and also editing any work that maybe considered bad or needed adapting to make it better. Obviously if our magazines were going to be sold on the market place the publisher would hire a advertisement team which will advertise the media product to raise the chances that the product will be a success.


 After doing some research into production companies and institutions I decided on a production company that would most likely publish my media product, I chose to use the company ‘Development Hell ltd’ the main contributing factor to why I chose this company was due to the fact that they also publish for Mixmag which is the magazine that I took inspiration from and Mixmag is the most popular magazine within my genre of music amongst my social group and so I thought that they would be relevant to produce my magazine as they have ahd experience in producing magazines within my genre. The company also have good experience within the magazine industry as they were reincorporated in 2001 which gives them 15 years of experience in publishing magazines. The company is also based within London which is helpful for my magazine as it is made in Britain and this means that it breaks down transportation costings for my magazine.  If I was to publish my magazine to the public this company would have the job in making sure the magazine would be produced to a quality standard and by completing tasks such as writing articles and editing the magazine if any problems arose.


The distribution of magazines is key as this is how much the product is sold, and how many copies are viewed. There are several ways that a magazine can be distributed such as online and by being printed which is a common theme although with advances in technology this could change and result in more companies distributing their magazine online so that it is made available to more people around the world as the internet is a very popular source used in everyday life. Within distribution there are 3 main circulation categories which are paid circulation, non-paid circulation and controlled circulation, paid circulation is where a person buys a issue of a magazine whether that be a subscription or a single payment. Non-paid circulation is where there is not a price for the magazine and it can be viewed for free examples of this could be magazines on planes and the way these companies make money is through advertising of other companies such as fashion companies. Finally there is controlled circulation which is magazines that are very specific and are controlled by industry for people who are qualified to read them and this is likely to be found in places of work where the staff may require it to perform their job such as a warehouse. My magazine would fit into the paid circulation figure category as it is being produced monthly for a cost. My distribution company would be Development Hell as previously mentioned they publish and distribute Mixmag which is what magazine I took inspiration from. They have a variety of links which retailers in order for these magazine to reach my social groups and shops that would most likely sell this magazine to the public.


To produce my magazine I would have to require funding from a company to ensure that I have the correct equipment available to use for my magazine and that it can be distributed correctly otherwise if I have no funding it will not be distributed as much as it could be. Some magazines rely on advertisement within their magazine to get money to create profit but to also fund the magazine itself. If I was to publish my magazine to the public this would be the way that I would get funds to keep producing my magazine. Also after the sales of my magazine I would be able to use these funds to ensure that I have money to produce other issues. If people have a subscription to my magazine then this would bring in funding for my magazine as well, the price I have chosen to charge for my magazine is reasonable within the current market but it also leaves room for profits and money to be reinvested within the company itself. My production company would also provide funding for my magazine to be produced but they would take some of the profits to replace their funding in the long term. There will be gigs that want support from our magazine and they may want advertising for these gigs, interviews with artists performing at the gigs so they may provide money for my company.


Thanks for listening.



No comments:

Post a Comment