Friday 15 January 2016

Audience research

I am researching into what type of people and what sort of audience I need to make my magazine appeal to and what types of people I need to appeal to. I will be using the website called "UK tribes" which explains lots of types of people who have specific interests and it gives them a name. Another contributing factor to why I am researching this is because I want a clear understanding of who to appeal to and it will also better my knowledge of the age ranges and groups I need to aim to when I am preparing my pitch for the magazine.

After researching lots of different tribes and analysing the description given I have found a match to what I think is relevant to my genre of house music and what in my opinion this style of people like to get up to. The UK tribe that is relevant to my magazine was the "Chavers" the description of the "Chavers" is
Chavers are all about the big night out – drugs, booze, dancing and getting smashed with their mates!
With commercial EDM (Electronic Dance Music – think Calvin Harris) dominating the charts in recent years and festivals popping up in cities all over the UK and Europe; the Chavers are alive and one of the most familiar stereotypes of UK youth culture. A friendly, down to earth Tribe that will spend big on a holiday over everyday essentials, the Chavers (especially the live-for-the-weekend students compared to the music-junkies) are much more welcoming than the name suggests. However be warned – drug use rates in the UK have halved for 16-24s in the last decade, so the Chavers of today aren’t going as hard as they used to!

As we can see this type of people like to listen to music similar to house music and like to go to clubs and parties at the weekend which I thought was relevant to my magazine. I am going to find photos of what this tribe of people look like and how there fashion is.
Fan-Girl-Carousel-Image-Tribe


Carnaby Boys, Mainstream


As we can see the photos represent a similar understanding to what my tribe is like but I do not feel as if these photos are accurate enough to match my audience type as we see that the two lads appear too young to go to clubbing but they may have a interest in house music so there is a small similarity. The tribe that is linked to my magazine is located in the mainstream category of all the tribes here is a description of the mainstream category. There’s a strong emphasis on conformity across all Tribes and ages. Siege mentality makes Mainstream Tribes wary of those standing out, anything that’s too ‘out there’ is sure to elicit disparaging remarks – nobody likes a show off! Yet, Mainstream Tribes are among the most loyal of all – both to their friends (often keeping the same group from school) and family. They’re also fiercely proud of their local area.


No comments:

Post a Comment